Project Introduction and Background
East Helena School District 9 is planning construction of a new high school along the west side of Valley Drive immediately south of Plant Road. In response to that project and other ongoing or proposed land development projects in the area, the City of East Helena is performing a corridor study/preliminary engineering report.
The objectives of this study are to:
- Evaluate current conditions for the Montana Avenue/Valley Drive corridor from US Highway 12 to Plant Road
- Project traffic and roadway-related impacts to the corridor associated with development of the new high school, other planned or ongoing land development projects, and general projected growth in East Helena
- Develop prioritized recommendations for roadway and intersection improvements based on a 20-year design horizon
- Estimate design and construction costs for recommended improvements
- Develop a methodology for calculating proportionate cost share of improvements to be assigned to School District #9, the City of East Helena, and private development; additionally provide guidance on development of a special improvements district (SID) scheme to pay back the cost proportion assigned to the City