Kerry is a Senior Transportation Engineer in Sanderson Stewart’s Community Transportation Studio. As a safety-focused transportation engineer with over 9 years of experience working for the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Kerry understands that the roadway and engineering designs and driver behavioral patterns are complementary components of roadway safety. Kerry focused her master’s degree in Transportation Engineering and Human Factors. . She spent part of her tenure at FHWA working in a Division Office and as a NHTSA Liaison helping to collaborate with Governor’s Highway Safety Representatives and State DOT Safety Engineers to bridge the gap between the engineering/roadway dynamics and the behavioral/driver concerns. As HSIPs were becoming a national priority, she facilitated state and local level behavioral and engineering staff to create state-based safety teams to approach crash reviews and crash data management systems. Kerry spent a rotational assignment at AASHTO to help promote the Strategic Highway Safety Plan. At FHWA’s research center, Kerry managed the Low-Cost Safety Improvements Pooled Fund Study, designed to implement and research the effectiveness of many low-cost safety improvements nationwide from the NCHRP Report 500 guidebooks.
Kerry’s experience with safety strategies and crash analysis has been implemented into many of our projects. A few of the projects Kerry has contributed her safety expertise to include:
- Town of Estes Park Graves Avenue Safe Routes to School, Estes Park, Colorado
- Town of Erie County Line Road Improvements, Erie Colorado
- Rampart High School Parking Lot Safety Study, Colorado Springs,Colorado
- Rampart High School Parking Lot Design, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Yellowstone County Traffic Impact Analysis Recommendations, Yellowstone County, Montana
- Safety Evaluation of Westgate Drive/Becraft Lane Intersection, Yellowstone County, Montana
- West End Speed Zone Study, Yellowstone County, Montana
- Town of Windsor Traffic Signal at Crossroads & New Liberty, Windsor, Colorado
- West Babcock Street Pedestrian Crossing Study, Bozeman, Montana
- City of Great Falls North Great Falls Sub Area Transportation Planning Study, Great Falls, Montana
- Montana Department of Transportation Lockwood Interchange, Billings, Montana
- Western Security Bank Parking Lot Safety Study, Billings, Montana
- Evaluation of Low-Cost Safety Measures Pooled Fund Study, 2003-2007, Washington, DC. Contracting Officer (FHWA), developed, promoted and managed project and data analysis.*
- Roadway Safety Hardware Management Systems, Washington, DC (FHWA). Helped state DOTs to increase their use of state-of-the-art practices on roadway safety hardware asset management systems.*
- Development of Automated Motorist Warning Systems for Wet Pavement Conditions, Florida Turnpike, Tallahassee, FL*
- I-15 Design-Build Project (preparation for Olympics), Salt Lake City, Utah. Performed reviews on signage, markings, crash attenuators, and other design and construction details.*
*work prior to joining Sanderson Stewart.
Kerry’s publications include:
Perrillo Childress, Kerry V. “Estes Park Project Provides Equitable Design, Engagement for Underrepresented Community” Safety Compass, Federal Highway Administration, May 2022
Perrillo, Kerry V. “Applying Current Advanced Technologies to Help Alleviate Frequent Truck Accidents.” Compendium: Graduate Student Papers on Advanced Surface Transportation Systems, Texas Transportation Institute, Report Number SWUTC/97/72840-00003-2, August 1997.
Perrillo, Kerry. “The Effectiveness and Use of Continuous Shoulder Rumble Strips.” Federal Highway Administration Report, Albany, New York, August 1998.
Perrillo, Kerry V. “The Effectiveness and Use of Speed Trailers on Low-Speed Urban Roadways.” Masters Thesis, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, December 1997.